9/26/08

The Economics Of Style

So, my last post is taking on a little growth, and instead of trying to flush it out behind the scenes, I figured we can work it out together. I was speaking with a very pleasant woman who works at Macys.com, and I presented my very novice ideas on style. She suggested some things about economy and its connection to comfort that piqued my interest.

Nostalgia holds its greatest power in the fact that it is a comforting memory. Warm and fuzzy; it takes us back to a time where we remember things as safer. Of course, time is always hectic and intense, but the memories we look back on as "good" seldom harbor the negative tint of those times. When times get tough we revert back to these things, and using contemporary events as an example, flashbacks happen when comfort is needed. Embracing those elements helps get us through bad spells until we can move into periods of prosperity.

The questions that I have yet to flesh out, and plan on doing so with this, is to see, historically if these sentiments hold weight in the long run. How much more creative and innovative are we when times aren't tough, and is there any data to back that up? This of course ties into music, and other facets of creative expression; all of the outlets that one would expect to fall under the umbrella of a discussion about style over substance.

No comments: